SINGAPORE – A sports retailer was fined $750 on Thursday (Aug 15) for displaying three e-scooters at its showroom that did not meet safety standards.

The firm, known as Ning, has become the first retailer to be convicted of an offence under the Active Mobility Act.

Prosecution officer Ng Jun Kai from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) told the court that one of LTA’s enforcement officers inspected Ning’s premises at the Orion @ Paya Lebar building on July 9 and found that three of the five personal mobility devices (PMDs) on sale there did not possess the relevant UL2272 certification.

Mr Ng said: “By the act of displaying non-compliant (PMDs), Ning… not only runs afoul of the law, but also entices potential customers to acquire such non-compliant… devices for use on public paths and the circulation of (them) in the market.”

The UL2272 requirement was developed by an independent United States certification company. It specifies a set of safety requirements covering the electrical drive train system, including the battery system, other circuitry and electrical components, of motorised PMDs.

Mr Ng told the court that in a ministerial statement in Parliament earlier this month, Senior Minister of State for Transport Lam Pin Min said there were 49 PMD-related fires in the first half of this year, compared with 52 in the whole of last year.

Mr Ng added that the cases might have been caused by an electrical anomaly in the electrical circuitry or batteries.

This could result from various factors such as the overcharging of rechargeable batteries or the usage of an unsuitable charger, which are the risks that the implementation of UL2272 aims to mitigate.

Mr Chew Tat Weng, who is a manager at Ning and was its representative in court, pleaded for leniency on Thursday, stressing that the company had a clean record prior to this case.

District Judge Lorraine Ho said that the selling of non-compliant PMDs is “hazardous” and can cause “both real and potential dangers”.

For committing the offence under the Act, Ning could have been fined up to $1,000.