SINGAPORE – A Geylang street was cordoned off on Tuesday afternoon (July 23) after a suspected World War II bomb was found at a construction site.
A worker had been digging at a half-constructed building in Lorong 23 when he made the discovery at around 9.15am.
Police were called to the scene at around 10am and by 12.15pm, the entire street was cordoned off. Seven police vehicles were spotted there.
A bomb disposal squad was believed to be on the scene and by 1.15pm, the cordon had been scaled back to just the construction site.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal officers were seen leaving the site 15 minutes later, while around 30 construction workers were seen taking shelter under the nearby MRT track.
The project manager of the building confirmed that police said it was not a live bomb, adding that he was arranging a third-party specialist to remove and dispose of it.
Work at the construction site was stopped for the day.
Mr Roslan Abdul Ghani, a 58-year-old driver who works nearby, said: “The police came into the building and asked us to evacuate the place at around 11.30am.”